All researchers, regardless of ability, need access to scholarly information. Dow Jones and their partner ProQuest is committed to providing all our users with a fully accessible experience for research, teaching and learning.
At ProQuest, we make every effort to ensure that our platforms – including Factiva – can be used by everyone. Factiva is continually designed and developed to meet Level AA of the W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG 2.1) and Section 508 of the US Rehabilitation Act for features and functions.
Accessibility features and gaps
Users of Factiva.com should be able to:
- Navigate most of the website using just a keyboard.
- Go directly to main content areas on the page using skip links.
- Listen to most of the website using a screen reader.
- Navigate most of the website using speech recognition software.
- Zoom in up to 400% using browser tools without text spilling off screen.
- Identify the screen element that currently has focus.
There may be some parts of this website that are not fully accessible:
- Secondary navigation cannot be accessed using the keyboard.
- There are instances where the contrast ratio between background and foreground text is than 4.5:1.
- There are instances where images, graphs and charts do not provide text alternatives. For example, the Stock Market Index and News by Region graphs on the home screen, and news volume charts in the Analytics section.
- There are instances where label elements are not explicitly associated with form controls.
- There are instances where icons are used for buttons with no text alternatives.
- Generally, Factiva.com describes the purpose of the link in the text content of the element. There are some instances where an image is the only content of the link, and an accessible name is not provided.
If you have a disability and need to make your computer, tablet or other device easier to use, AbilityNet
is a recommended resource. We also recommend browsing free add-ons offered for Google Chrome
and Mozilla Firefox
Technical Information about this site’s accessibility
Factiva is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with:
- Level A and Level AA of the W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG 2.1)
- Section 508 of the US Rehabilitation Act for features and functions.
- The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No.2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
Compliance level and report
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines v2.1 AA standard, due to the non-compliances listed below.
Access the full Accessibility Compliance Report
(VPAT 2.4 and WCAG) for Factiva.
Accessibility of this platform
Work to improve the accessibility of Factiva is ongoing. The most recent round of accessibility-related improvements was completed February, 2020. The current high priority items are:
- Make secondary navigation keyboard accessible.
- Add labels for all form controls, so the purpose of every form control is clear.
- Ensure that the contrast ratio between backgrounds and text is sufficient across the website.
- Provide text alternatives for images, graphs, charts and icons where these are currently missing.
The accessibility of Factiva.com is a continual effort at Dow Jones. Accessibility standards are built into our design, and style guides and included as part of requirements in our software development and quality assurance pipeline.
Factiva code is checked for accessibility using a range of automated and manual checks including but not limited to:
- Color Contrast Analyzer provided by WebAIM
- Deque aXe accessibility testing tool
- High Contrast Chrome extension
- Keyboard-access manual testing and assessment
- WAVE (Web Accessibility Evaluation tool) provided by WebAIM
- JAWS with Windows
- VoiceOver with Mac
Factiva.com is tested on the latest version Firefox, Safari, Chrome, and Edge, and on devices including Mac and Windows computers, and Android and iOS devices.
What We’re Doing to Improve Accessibility
Making content accessible is an ongoing effort at Dow Jones. We’re committed to working with the community to ensure we continue to meet our customers’ needs. A list of our ongoing efforts include:
- Testing with users of all abilities
- Pursuing partnerships with colleges, universities and other institutions to assist us in reviewing and updating our accessibility standards
- Consulting with, and performing audits through, accessibility experts
Support and feedback
If you have difficulty accessing specific Factiva content or features with adaptive technology after trying the workarounds suggested in this statement, you can contact us using the links provided below. Our support services will respond within three days and are available to accommodate the communication needs of end users with disabilities. We will work with you to identify the best option for remediation, subject to content licensing restrictions and technical capability.
Online: ProQuest Technical Support
United States & Canada (toll free):+1 800 889 3358
Outside North America:+800 4997 4111
or +1 734-707-2513
Preparation of this accessibility statement
This accessibility statement was prepared on August 5, 2020.
The website was last tested on July 17, 2020. The test was carried out internally at ProQuest.