The process for downloading a full ebook for offline reading on an iOS device using the Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) app is similar to the process for downloading a full ebook on a laptop or computer.
First, install the ADE app on your iOS device (iPhone, iPad), and authorize ADE with your Adobe ID. If you do not have an Adobe ID, you will need to create one. ADE will allow you to open and read the full ebook after the ebook is downloaded from Ebook Central.
After installing the ADE app:
- Use a browser (Safari, Chrome, etc) on your mobile device to access Ebook Central. Navigate to the ebook you want to download
- Click the "full download" button. You might be prompted to login to Ebook Central
Then, Ebook Central will provide the following prompts:
- What device are you using?: Select your device (iOS)
- You will need an ebook reader app: If you have already installed ADE, or other reader app, select "done with this step"
- Download your book: Choose the loan length and file type (if a choice is offered) and click “download”
- Your library sets which download periods are available for titles on Ebook Central - you may have a choice of download lengths depending on your library's settings
- Some Ebook Central books are available to download in both EPUB and PDF file formats, while others will be available as only PDF or only EPUB. Please note that whichever format you choose, for most books the initial download will be an .acsm file. This file can only be opened by Adobe Digital Editions (or other Adobe DRM-compatible reader app). Once you open the .acsm file in ADE, the actual book file will be downloaded and open directly in that program (in EPUB or PDF format depending on which file format you selected in step 3)
Steps for downloading to your iOS device:
- After clicking the "download" button, a message should pop up stating, "Do you want to download "737321.acsm?" (The file name is the Ebook Central doc ID number for the book, and will be different depending on what ebook you download)
2. Click "download" and a small arrow will appear at the top right-hand corner of the screen. Click on the arrow, then click on the document listed
3. This will open a screen displaying the file ID, "ACSM files", and the file size. From here, click the arrow in the upper right-hand corner again and if ADE is not listed in the apps, scroll over to "More" and then click "Copy to Digital Editions"
4. You will then be prompted to select "Open in Digital Editions." From here your ebook will launch in the ADE app
If you are receiving an error message when downloading, see our tips for Full-Download Troubleshooting Adobe Digital Editions
If you need directions for Android devices see our article: Adobe Digital Editions on Android