Welcome | Global Support
Alexander Street Historical Collections are migrating to the LAZR Platform!
- Dual access is now available for Phase 2 products!
We are happy to announce that the last remaining Alexander Street legacy products that have been in dual access and now nearing their legacy shutdown date. The expected shut down date for these legacy sites in July 15, 2021. New product URLs for Phase 2 products can be found below.
Check back here often for regular updates.
Notify Me: Want to stay up to date? Sign up for updates by clicking "Notify Me".
In addition to the migration of several products from legacy platforms to LAZR, there has been a recent update to the text viewer on the LAZR platform. These improvements will provide a better user experience for viewing text documents such as PDF, Images, and Keyed Text. Some of these enhancements include:
- Faster loading time
- Overall look and design of the text viewer has been updated. Including:
- "Content" and "Related Items" panel have been moved from the menu on the right-hand side to the left and given an updated icon
- The content viewer control buttons have been moved from the horizontal bar on the top to the controls existing mostly in a vertical column on the left
- There is a new way to view "Details" for the text by clicking on the "i" icon that appears on the left-hand menu next to the title
- Searching within functionality has not been changed, however the appearance of displayed results has changed to show all results in a scrollable column on the left. Each result is still highlighted within the page where it appears, and individual results are clickable from listed results.
- To learn more about these features and other enchantments made to the text viewer go here.
- Contact us for any questions about the new text viewer.
An instructional video for the new text viewer can be found on the Alexander Street Multimedia LibGuide.
In addition to these Alexander Street legacy products, one addition product will also move from its legacy platform, the LAZR:
This product’s legacy platform will also shutdown on July 15, 2021.
- Newly-enhanced Alexander Street LAZR platform. The modernized interface will consider the devices users are accessing the platform with, and the display will match the device (large monitors, standard desktops, laptops, tablets and smart phones). The Alexander Street platform is also Counter 5 compliant.
- Modern research experience, guiding discovery, access and management of content sources. The new platform allows for easier navigation and discoverability of content. It is also easier to search within a document on the new instance on the LAZR platform.
Example search: Hadith in Twentieth Century Religious Thought, Volume 2: Islam. Then search for qadar (predestination).
Legacy (Old Platform): Many results for Hadith, however, a user can not limit results to topics or subjects outside of the listed facets, including search term qadar.
LAZR (New Platform): A user can search within the Hadith results to find documents related to qadar. The user can keep entering search terms until they narrow down the documents to what is most relevant for their research.
LAZR (New Platform): A user can search for specific words within the text. Results will highlight and show all locations that the word appears in the monograph. Ex search: Sunnah
Example search: American Revolution in North American Women’s Letters and Diaries. Then search for childbirth.
Legacy (Old Platform): childbirth is a facet, however, a user can not limit results to topics or subjects outside of the listed facets.
LAZR (New Platform): A user can search within the American Revolution results to find documents related to childbirth. The user can keep entering search terms until they narrow down the documents to what is most relevant for their research.
- Cross-searchable with other entitled Alexander Street databases, including all letters and diaries collections, The Digital Library of Classic Protestant Texts, Early Experiences in Australasia, and African Diaspora 1860-present, etc.
Steps to take to prepare for Legacy site shutdown of Phase 2 products:
- We encourage you to create new bookmarks and update your A-Z list. You may also want to update your discovery tools to point your users to the new URL. Once the legacy shutdown date is determined, at that time, we will decommission the legacy URLs and redirects will point users of the legacy site to the new version of the product on the LAZR platform.
- During the dual access period, usage of the legacy site will be available from the Administration Resources area of the legacy platform. Once the legacy site has been shut down, ProQuest will keep legacy usage statistics for approximately one year after the dual access period ends. Once you begin to use the new products on the LAZR platform, usage statistics pertaining to this new version of the product will be available via the ProQuest Administrator Module (PAM).
- Discovery services – Both Ex Libris PRIMO and SUMMON will enable the new feed to the new access URL at the time of launch so they can direct queries to either the legacy or the new site until the end of the dual access period. At the end of the dual access period, the legacy sites will be disabled, and customers will have to select the new version of their individual products in their discovery tools.
- All product trials will be available only on the LAZR Platform.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Will there be new product MARC records for Legacy Collections?
No. The records will not change, but the URL’s will be redirected to the new platform.
- What will happen if we do nothing, if we don’t update the existing MARC records for the Legacy Collections?
Access to the Phase 2 legacy platforms will be available through July 15, 2021, after which all users will be redirected into the new platform. MARC records will automatically be redirected to the new address.
- What would be the advantage of updating the database URL?
The advantage of updating the URL early it will give your users access to more content through cross search and they will become familiar with the new platform.
- What will happen at the end of the dual access period?
Access to the legacy platforms will be available through July 15, 2021 after which all users will be redirected into the new platform. MARC records will automatically be redirected to the new address. Redirects have been put in place for the most commonly used pages, but some individually bookmarked pages may be affected.
- What will happen to Legacy Collection bookmarks?
Redirects have been put in place for the most commonly used pages, but some individually bookmarked pages may be affected. During dual access period users will need to make new bookmarks on the new platform as not all bookmarked pages will be migrated.
LAZR Product Access URLs for Phase 1 Products:
British and Irish Women's Letters and Diaries:
Manuscript Women’s Letters and Diaries:
North American Immigrant Letters, Diaries and Oral Histories:
North American Women’s Letters and Diaries:
The American Civil War: Letters and Diaries:
Oral History Online:
North American Indian Thought and Culture:
Black Thought and Culture:
Early Encounters in North America:
LAZR Product Access URLs for Phase 2 Products:
Dual access is currently in progress and legacy sites will shut down on July 15, 2021
Images of America
The Gilded Age
Twentieth Century Advice Literature: North American Guides on Race, Gender, Sex, and the Family
The Sixties: Primary Documents and Personal Narratives 1960-1974
The Digital Karl Barth Library
The Digital Library of Classic Protestant Texts
The Digital Library of the Catholic Reformation
Twentieth Century Religious Thought Library
Twentieth Century Religious Thought, Volume I: Christianity
Twentieth Century Religious Thought, Volume II: Islam
Twentieth Century Religious Thought, Volume III: Judaism
Twentieth Century Religious Thought, Volume IV: Eastern Religions
ProQuest offers best-in-class customer service and technical support, so you can hit the ground running.
If the above information does not answer your questions feel free to contact us and we will be happy to assist.