This statement covers all ProQuest products listed at the bottom of this page.
Visit the Accessibility Directory article for detailed information for all ProQuest products.
ProQuest and Accessibility
ProQuest is committed to providing an experience that is fully accessible to everyone. We work to ensure all site pages comply with web accessibility guidelines. This is an ongoing effort.
While designing product interfaces, we aim to conform with the following web accessibility standards and laws:
- Section 508 of the US Rehabilitation Act.
- Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG).
For each product, our goal is to provide a document called a Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) Conformance Report. The latest version of the VPAT template provides for assessing and recording the level of conformance to both Section 508 and WCAG standards. VPATs are posted, as available, to our Accessibility Directory.
- The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
In addition to accessibility standards conformance, we strive to adhere to industry coding standards and best practices to ensure compatibility with as wide a range of browsers and assistive technologies as possible.
Tools we use to test accessibility include:
- The WAVE (web accessibility evaluation tool) toolbar provided by WebAim.
- WebAim’s Color Contrast Analyzer.
- Manual keyboard checks.
- JAWS and NVDA screen readers.
Features with Implications for Accessibility
ProQuest products may use or provide some or all of the following technologies or features.
PDFs and page images
Some products provide full-text content as scanned page images only. Others also provide full text you can select, copy, and paste. Both page images and text-based documents are delivered as PDFs, requiring that you have the Adobe Reader installed.
Full-text documents may contain inline images such as photographs, illustrations, or graphs. A short caption normally appears beneath or alongside these items. Captions help make image content accessible to vision-disabled users.
Browser pop-up windows
Products may use browser pop-up windows to provide some types of content or support various user tasks. If you have a pop-up blocker activated, we recommend you disable it while using ProQuest products. ProQuest does not use pop-ups for marketing purposes.
Some products provide video content. You will need either the QuickTime Player® or the Windows Media® Player plug-in to view that content. Only a handful of products provide captioning and full transcripts.
Animated or Interactive Content
You may need to install the Adobe Flash Player plug-in to access animated or interactive content in some products.
This accessibility statement applies to the following products:
- Acta Sanctorum
- African American Biographical Database
- African American Poetry
- African Writers Series
- American Drama 1714-1915
- American Film Institute Catalog
- American Poetry
- Annual Bibliography of English Language and Literature, 1920- (ABELL)
- Archive Finder
- Bibliography of American Literature
- Black Abolitionist Papers
- Black Literature Index
- Black Studies Center
- C19: The Nineteenth-Century Index
- Canadian Poetry
- Cecil Papers
- Colonial State Papers
- Digital National Security Archive
- Digitale Bibliothek Deutscher Klassiker
- Documents on British Policy Overseas
- Early American Fiction 1789-1850
- Early American Fiction 1789-1875
- Early English Books Online
- Early English Prose Fiction
- Early European Books
- Eighteenth-Century Fiction
- English Drama
- English Poetry
- English Poetry, Second Edition
- FIAF International Index to Film Periodicals / FIAF International Index to Film Periodicals Plus
- Film Indexes International
- Film Indexes Online
- History Study Center
- House of Commons Parliamentary Papers
- John Johnson Collection
- King James Bible
- Literature Collections
- Literature Online
- MLA International Bibliography
- Monthly Catalog
- Nineteenth Century Short Title Catalogue
- Nineteenth-Century Fiction
- Paley Center
- Patrologia Latina
- Policy File
- ProQuest Learning: Literature
- Queen Victoria's Journals
- Schomburg Studies on the Black Experience
- The Faber Poetry Library
- The Gerritsen Collection
- The HistoryMakers
- The Wellesley Index to Victorian Periodicals, 1824-1900
- Twentieth-Century African American Poetry
- Twentieth-Century American Poetry
- Twentieth-Century Drama
- Twentieth-Century English Poetry