ProQuest is committed to building the strength and value of libraries. That means ensuring the products and services you rely on:
- Continually improve the research experience for end-users
- Are simple for your library to manage
In 2015, we enhanced the ProQuest interface to wide acclaim (including a Reader’s Choice Award from the Charleston Advisor). We are modernizing a number of legacy products, including a significant upgrade for ebrary and EBL, which is moving to Ebook Central, a full-service ebook platform.
Now, we are making important changes to many of our databases on the ProQuest platform. An upgraded, streamlined product portfolio is now available for new academic library subscriptions. Libraries can see clear, consistent, product choices, making it easier to manage and work with our products. Researchers will see their search results expand to relevant content in adjacent disciplines.
The focus of these changes is:
Improving the research experience
- Access: We’re providing a seamless inbound experience for users who access ProQuest content from a discovery service, such as Google Scholar, Summon or Primo Central.
- Content: Our revised portfolio will provide many researches with access to additional content in adjacent disciplines.
- Coming soon: Direct linking to key publications, popular content sets, and specialized content that advanced researchers focus on.
Improving Library Management
- We’re aligning our collections with user needs and librarian feedback, expanding content to a revised suite of databases that are more robust and useful and no longer offering new subscriptions to lower-use content sets.
- Based on extensive customer feedback and research, we’re making database names clearer and more descriptive of their contents, making it easier for everyone to understand what’s in the library’s collection.
- No user training is needed. In fact, librarians will only to make some minimal updates to catalogues as we upgrade a select number of databases. Full support will be available from the ProQuest customer experience team if these changes affect you.
- ProQuest is managing updates with linking partners and other third parties, providing new MARC records and database descriptions, and managing redirects for links.
We are rolling out a number of upgrades to the new portfolio, which will be made available some customers at their upcoming renewal. These upgrades vary by customer and we will keep you up to date on changes well ahead of time.