EZproxy Single Sign-On (SSO) :
EZproxy authentication software from OCLC allows your library to deliver secure online access to e-content simply and effectively. When an Ebook Central site is configured with EZproxy SSO, users sign in just once
to both: access the site
and be signed in to their personal account
.How it works
Benefits of EZproxy SSO versus using regular proxies:
- When a patron needs to sign in - either initially to access the site, or to use functionality that requires them to be signed in - the Ebook Central site sends them to your institution's EZproxy page to sign in.
- Once they successfully authenticate there, they are passed back to the Ebook Central site.
- Ebook Central uses the unique identifier they are returned with to automatically sign them into their personal account. This gives the user access to their bookshelf and allows them to annotate, full-download, and to be associated with STLs and NL-seats they've triggered.
To set up EZproxy SSO
- Patrons don't need to remember a second set of credentials to sign in to their personal Ebook Central account - they're signed in to their personal account having used the same EZproxy login they use for your other shared resources.
- This is a hand-off method, so once a patron signs in, the proxy server is out of the loop. Since patron access isn't passed back and forth through the proxy server, their access is much faster.
- There is no need to provide proxied links - Ebook Central handles the redirects.
(*if you're upgrading from EBL, see note at end of article)
- Please contact the Technical Support Team to request this method and to send us your EZproxy URL. This authentication method requires setup on our end and will not work unless it is configured properly in our system.
- Once we've configured your Ebook Central site, we'll confirm and you can add the correct stanza for SSO, which is as follows:
Title Ebook Central SSO
ebrarySite -URL=https://ebookcentral.proquest.com:443 YOUREBCENTRALSITE
*Currently, customers upgrading from EBL with EZproxy Shared Secret should continue to use that method on Ebook Central.
NOTES: replace YOUREBCENTRALSITE with your Ebook Central site ID
This stanza needs to be placed before any AutoLoginIP lines because the proxy login is used for patrons to sign into their personal account as well as for authentication.