Searching | Browsing | Working with what you find | Contents
Rather than entering keywords and other information to search through collections and other available sources, you can also browse collection images and book contents.
Browsing Record Collections
Follow the on-screen instructions to first select a record group, and than a record type. Subsequent selections are based on the record type you select.
Browsing Birth, Marriage, Death records
Select the Birth, Marriage, Death record group, followed in succession by:
- Cohabitation or Marriage record types
After you select a county, the first page image of Cohabitation or Marriage records for the selected county displays. Use the controls on the image page to browse the records.
Browsing Federal Census records
Select the Census record group, followed in succession by:
- Federal record type
- Census Year
- State — When you select a state, a View state map link displays. Click the link to view a county map of the selected state, as the map looked for the selected year.
After you select a location, the first page image of Federal Census records for the selected location displays. Use the controls on the image page to browse the census.
Browsing Freedman's Bank records
- Select the Freedman's Bank record group.
- Select a Freedman's Bank Branch Location.
When you select a location, the first page image of that branch's bank register displays. Use the controls on the image page to browse the register.
Browsing Military records
- Select the Military Records record group.
- Select a record type: Draft Registrations or Service.
- If Draft Registrations, select a record title.
- If World War I, 1917-1918
- Select a state
- Select a county
- If World War II, 1942
- Select a state
- Select a location
If Service, select a State and then a unit.
After you select a county (WWI), location (WWII), or unit (Service) the first page image for the selected county, location, or unit displays. Use the controls on the image page to browse the records.
Browsing Slaves and Free(d) Persons of Color registers
- Select the Slaves and Free(d) Persons of Color record group.
- Select the Registers record type.
- Select a state.
- Select a county.
To browse available publications:
- If you are not already on the Browse Publications page, click Publications on the main menu.
- Click the Browse Publications link in the left sidebar. (The link toggles to Search Publications.)
- Click a letter to browse available publications whose titles begin with that letter.
Enter a letter, partial word, or words that begin titles you might know exist, or that simply might find titles that can aid your research...and click Go.
- Click a publication's title to display it's citation and table of contents.
- Browse the publication by clicking the links under the Table of Contents heading.
Browse by Page Number
Click Browse by Page Number on the Book Citation or Image pages to display a page of the same name. Every page of the book is displayed as a link. Click any link to display the corresponding page image.
Browsing Black Genesis
- Click the Browse the Table of Contents link on the Black Genesis page.
- Click any link to display the first page of the corresponding section.