Internet Explorer typically exacerbates the search-string-length problem.- Try creating several smaller-string-length collections.
For example, one for Business, one for Education, etc.- The culprit is usually trying to remove just a few publishers. Try this:
1. Set up your search criteria without removing the unwanted publishers
2. From "Profile" tab, select "View Collection",
3. Click the "Search Collection" button
4. Search for the publishers you don't want
Either use the "Edit Publishers" link
Or, set a new search line's drop-down menu to "Publisher", then enter all the publishers you don't want separated by OR
You can save this search string in a text file and then paste it in when you want to do this again with future searches
5. Click "Select All", then click "Remove selection from profile"
The only problem is that future runs of the search won't automatically eliminate titles by those publishers