Admins, PDA/Loans: Best practices for viewing PDA titles (without causing triggerable usage)
If you view a document while in the ACQUISITIONS
tab, it provides you a preview-only copy
of the document and it won't let you view more than is allowable in a preview setting. And because it is showing you a preview-only copy, that usage does not count toward triggering it
for loan or purchase.However, if you add a document to a PDA collection, and that PDA profile is active, then that document becomes a "live" document - it is no longer a preview-only document. If from the PROFILE
tab you click "View Collection
" you will have access to live documents. If from there you open one of the live documents and use it sufficiently, it will trigger a loan or purchase
.The important distinction to keep in mind is that:
To demo without accidentally triggering titles
- In the ACQUISITIONS tab you are viewing possible offerings. They are always preview-only and you cannot affect a trigger there.
- In the PROFILE tab, you may be viewing live collections and live documents. Opening and using a document in a live collection can trigger it.
- If a collection is paused or otherwise not-active (i.e, your PDA account is not yet active), then the documents you see when you view the collection are preview-only documents and you will only be allowed to view the preview maximum. It won't count as triggerable usage.
, only use titles from “Collection
” is “Purchased Titles
” to restrict to titles you already own. For example, to demo a particular feature using a sample document:
- Go to your ebrary site
- Click the “Advanced” link to bring up the advanced search options
- Select "Collection" then "Purchased Titles" from the drop-down menus
- Add other search lines if desired, or just click the "Search" button below
- The list of titles returned are titles you already own
- You can safely demo with any of the titles in that list and you won't accidentally cause triggerable usage